The Leftovers - Tom Perrotta Wow, Tom Perrotta is gifted. I don't think I have ever encountered a writer who can better capture the suburban world than he does, and from so many different perspectives. Every character in this book was believable: man, woman, mother, son, father, daughter; even Laurie, the mother who abandoned her husband and children to join the fanatical group known as the Guilty Remnant, a post-rapture cult who felt it was their duty to keep the "Sudden Departure" alive in the hearts and minds of the people trying to get on with their lives. I didn't understand her (I don't think we were meant to), but I believed her. My favorite character was Tom, Kevin and Laurie's son, who was destined to live an average life in the best of worlds, and fell utterly lost when that world changed for the worse three years ago. I really liked him.

This was my first time reading Tom Perrotta's work. I've seen the movies LITTLE CHILDREN and ELECTION and hesitate to pick up books in which I already know the outcome, but now that I know that the beauty of his writing is in his characters, I can assure you that I will be reading all of his work.